Saturday 29 February 2020

WIPocalypse check in for February

Hello everyone, it’s time for the ‘Leap Day’ WIPocalypse check-in, when we post how much progress we have made on the WIPs we want to complete before the end of the world!

This month I have three small finishes, some progress on a larger WIP and a new start.

The three small finishes are:
1. Butterfly necklace (cover kit)


I’m wearing it here, but I’m pretty sure Lucy thinks it is hers...

2. Hetty hedgehog - another cover kit!

This one is really Lucy’s and after being played with for a while I’m pretty sure her bead nose is going to fall off so I’ll need to find a better way to secure it. She was originally meant as a pin cushion but I don’t really need any more pin cushions anyway.

3. Flowery heart card. Guess what, this was also a cover kit, but it think a very pretty one. I finished it off as designed as a birthday card for my friend.


The larger project I have been working on is Canadian Beauty by Joan Elliott. Here’s where I left her back in 2016 before Lucy was born:

 And here’s where I’m up to now:


I’m very happy that I’ve actually made visible progress on her and I’m looking forward to stitching on her again.

The final project is a new start made at Lucy’s request. It is a Pooh bear kit which I’ve had in my stash for years. She has suddenly become obsessed with Pooh (largely because she can run around shouting Pooh very loudly in public, but that’s three year olds for you). I’m sometimes allowed to work on Pooh while she is awake, and she has actually helped to work on him a couple of times pulling and pushing the needle up and down for me. Perhaps I might be able to teach her to stitch sooner than I thought!

Finally, this month’s question is about a time you had to make a ‘Leap’ in stitching. I’m finding it hard to think of anything particularly impressive, but a few years ago I did go through a real burst and started trying out lots of different projects like starting my Chatelaine and a Heaven and Earth designs piece. It was a lot of fun trying different ways of stitching. I didn’t finish either of those but I hope to someday. I think Chatelaines are more enjoyable for me than HAED as I like having a variety of stitches. I would like my next leaps to be designing my own projects, and also maybe starting a Teresa Wentzler design. I’m sure I had kitted up Egyptian sampler back in 2016 but I never did get to it. 

6 comments:

  1. That hedgehog is so cute - no wonder Lucy loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had some lovely projects this month, especially the cute little hedgehog.
    It sounds like Lucy might indeed be ready to stitch! When I was about 5 or 6 (certainly in Infant School) I remember making a binca cushion cover by starting in the middle and working outwards in a spiral. Just a few crosses per day would soon result in a little coaster and create some lovely mummy-daughter time together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how adorable that little hedgehog looks! Great work on him and your other projects, they are all lovely =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This hedgehog is so cute, great finish! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work on the cover kits, the hedgehog is really cute.
    How sweet that Lucy wants to help stitch her own projects with you.
    I'd rather stitch a Chatelaine than a HAED any day! I must get back to mine this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your finished projects are so sweet. Congratulations.

    Sounds like your Lucy will become a stitcher!

    My leap was also a Chatelaine design. I learned a lot and also enjoyed the complexity of the design. A HAED was gifted to me recently and I've ordered the materials to kit it up and look forward to starting it.

    ReplyDelete